Introducing Remote 3

They did offered me the R3 :+1:
Hopefully delivery time is shorted than 7 month :hand_with_index_finger_and_thumb_crossed:

1 Like

Marton, is this what you’ve been doing with your time instead of making the R2’s software stable and functional? Do you have any idea how offensive it is for us to find out you’re working on a new product when we who have spent hundreds still don’t have a fully functional remote are left in the dust?

I’m sure you’ll try to soothe your conscience by rationalizing that other companies release new products all the time, but not when the existing product is still so badly flawed. You should be working to deliver on the promise of the R2 for current owners, not making our investment obsolete.

Frankly, I’m pretty pissed off.

13 Likes

Now the hardware revision is raising cash to manufacture. Can you advise latest on new software platform for R2?

1 Like

R2 and R3 share same hardware plattform and no one is left in the dust. Software updates will be for R2 and R3.

So, as my R2 is basically unusable ATM due to its lack of IR power and Bluetooth and IP integrations, I’m assuming the R3 will not help as it will be just as unusable for me as well.

Please enlighten me if I am wrong.

2 Likes

Listen, I’m not mad that you’re updating the hardware to achieve:

• better economies of scale
  • reduce construction complexity
  • or add features requested by users.

However, it’s profoundly obvious that there are major issues with IR command strength on the remote two docks–enhanced IP integrations are great, but the # of IR devices far exceed the number of IP.

Frankly, I’m flabbergasted that an official solution—whether it be buying the new R3 dock, creating additional IR-only hardware, or backing open-source solutions—wasn’t announced for R2 backers. To say I’m disappointed would be an understatement.

Furthermore, documentation is still weak and thus far, offers from the community (at the very least, me) to help improve on that documentation have been rejected. Will improved documentation be available before the launch of R3?

I want to see UC succeed, and in a non-subscription model, hardware is the best way to build capital.

However, with as many sources online reporting on IR issues, I don’t see how you’ll be able to convince people to throw down more money for hardware.

3 Likes

The gullible buyer has already been taken for a ride by Neeo and now here again. Simply sad. For me, UC has just died. No wonder the roadmap is not even remotely being adhered to when work is already underway on the successor rip-off.

2 Likes

BT beta is underway. Which IP integrations are you missing? There will be an IR blaster for R2 as well, as old IR extentions where only extenders.

R2 and R3 share the same hardware platform. So R2 is still fully supported in upcoming softare updates.

When there are IP integrations for LG TV and FireTV Stick, I can replace my Harmony Elite. Because the IR is too weak, I still use the Harmony and the Remote Two is gathering dust. To be honest, I don’t want to control devices via IR anymore and I’m hoping that everything will soon be done via IP.

Regarding the Remote 3, I don’t think it’s so bad that there’s a new version. It’s good that the existing weak points are being improved. Thanks to the same platform, the firmware should run on both remote controls. The increased RAM will probably only mean that more integrations can run at the same time.

1 Like

There is an LG TV integration developed by @albator . After we have relesed the Bluetooth support (that probably works with FireTV) we’re going to work on allowing external integrations to be uploaded to the remote. That way the LG TV integration can work there as well.

3 Likes

Since IR on the R2 is so weak, I need IP and/or Bluetooth integrations for:

Sky Q TV box

LG TV

Pioneer (Onkyo) AVR

Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro (the existing integration is poor). The Harmony communicates to it via Bluetooth which works well.

Also, loading the integrations to the remote is essential. I will not use another computer to host them. That would make too many points of failure with too much maintenance and extra power consumption.

I have retired my Harmony Elite as it was developing reliability issues. I now use a Sofabaton X1 and control things via IR as the Sofabaton hub’s IR blaster is so strong, it reaches all my media gear faultlessly. I have also created an IR receiver that communicates to Home Assistant via ESPHome, so I can control my IOT devices with the Sofabaton.

But I would really like to ditch IR altogether. I wanted to replace my Elite with the R2, but the only way right now is to rely on IR. My wife will not let me trail IR extenders round the media cabinet. And she’s the boss.

2 Likes

Please read the message above, looks like Blueooth and the integrations on remote will solve all of your issues.

But when will they be available?

1 Like

Why you dropped OLED? All devices have nowadays OLED and now you release a new product and built it with an LCD instead of oled… Are you kidding?

Sorry for the harsh words but I can’t understand it… You want to build premium device - built one. I really want to get one and support your campaign (I missed the kickstarter of remote 2)… Maybe you should overthink your OLED decision….

1 Like

Is that an answer to both of my questions?

I’m not sure I “get it” with regard to the dock. PoE support and 3.5mm output for IR commands… NICE! That will go great in racks!

But… wait… it’s a charging stand? How is that supposed to go into a rack then? Of course the product pictures don’t show a power cord, but I guess the thinking here is that I put it in the rack? Or should I put it near my couch and power it with PoE there?

It feels like the remote should just have Qi2 charging built in. Let us charge it wherever we already charge our phones wirelessly… and then let us stick that dock into our cabinets / racks.

When is the R2 going to see the new UX Update?

I second this idea.

Keeping the dock near the user is a problem as the IR is so weak. If the dock was independent (like Harmony and Sofabaton), it could be positioned in the most advantageous place.

The R3 has build in wireless charging. But I would have preferred an additional simple USB-C connector on the remote to be able to charge the remote while using it.