Will Remote 3 require Home Assistant programming?

I’m very new to this product (but kicked in for the kickstarter so I’ll be getting one) and I’m not clear on whether this remote will require Home Assistant programming for basic functions or if it is programmed via a different app. I don’t have an issue learning Home Assistant as I wait for Remote 3 to be released, but if I don’t have to I may it.

The newer features, both bluetooth and integrations added on to the remote, should lessen need for HA. Right now it is required for me, but every use case is different. Hoping to have it all in the remote by end of year w/o HA or separate docker containers.

1 Like

It depends. For normal not to old AV equipment it is already possible to use the R2 alone. It is another case if you want to control light, blinds and climate. List your needs then we can say more.

Ralf

Mostly modern equipment but also AppleTV, Hue lights, Nest thermostat, and probably some other things.

IR, Android TV, Apple TV and Hue are already supported. Nest not. Here Supported devices is a list what is supported beyond IR.

Ralf