Resposivness Support - unacceptable

Venting my frustration here. Response times from support are really unacceptable. I fully appreciate, the team is small and we are not going to get support as fast as with bigger companies. Not having a problem with delays - even with longer response times. Yet, the product sold is a premium product at this price range and I still think having to wait for a month w/o getting a response on a simple question about spare part pricing for a battery and a keymat for my remote 2 is unacceptable.

Maybe someone from the teams is reading this here and will find a minute to respond to my request.

The product is undoubtedly “premium” in terms of what it is trying to achieve, but we shouldn’t forget that it was launched as a Kickstarter project and there is no conventional commercial chain behind it. It is essentially a direct manufacturer-to-end-user business, and what you see is more or less what you get.

Normally, a more traditional support infrastructure is delivered through a distribution and retail network. But once you add distributors, retailers, servicing arrangements, local support, stockholding, etc., the price inevitably goes up — potentially by 40–50% or more.

Their business model so far has also been fairly clear: release a generation, develop the firmware and ecosystem around it, address hardware limitations or problems with the next generation, and release that roughly two years later.

There is also no established retail chain or broad supply network that continues to provide products and support once a Kickstarter campaign has finished. You only have to look at the forum to see people complaining about orders being pushed further and further into the future.

And this is a very niche market. Most of the big players have either exited or substantially reduced their presence. Logitech Harmony is probably the most obvious example: ultimately, the combination of relatively low sales volumes and the ongoing software/ecosystem headache of supporting new products, firmware and integrations is difficult to sustain.

I went into UC with my eyes open. At the price I paid through Kickstarter, I never expected a Control4-style support organisation or rapid turnaround on every issue.

To be fair to UC, they have generally come back to me when I have contacted them. The problem is that the response can take two or three months, rather than a few days. Even so, most of the issues I have raised have eventually been addressed. I currently have a replacement board supplied by them, and I am simply waiting for instructions/tutorials on how to actually replace it.

My understanding is that the support team is very small, with some of the same people also involved in development. That obviously puts a practical limit on how quickly they can respond.

If you don’t like that model, there are alternatives, but there aren’t many — and in my experience they don’t offer the same combination of features and flexibility that UC does at this price point. When UC works, it is very good.

The other end of the spectrum is the professional installer ecosystem — Crestron, Control4, etc. — but you are then talking about a completely different proposition and potentially an order of magnitude or more in cost, depending on the system.

So, personally, I am not unhappy with UC or even particularly unhappy with their level of support. There is always a trade-off.

We all want something for nothing, but if you buy a UC at Kickstarter/direct-to-consumer pricing and expect the support infrastructure and response times of a professional Control4 installation, you are inevitably going to be disappointed.

Don’t get me wrong — I am not trying to defend poor service, which is unfortunately becoming an increasingly prevalent symptom of our time.

But there is also an important distinction here: with UC, you haven’t really paid for a comprehensive support service. You have primarily paid for the hardware.

The Kickstarter/direct-to-consumer model is fundamentally different from buying into a professional control system where a significant part of the cost goes towards the dealer network, installation, servicing and ongoing support infrastructure.

That doesn’t mean UC gets a free pass when something goes wrong. I still expect them to honour their commitments and deal with genuine hardware or software problems. But I think it is reasonable to calibrate expectations according to what you actually paid for.

For the price of the Kickstarter hardware, I accepted that support might be slow and that there wouldn’t be someone at the end of a phone ready to troubleshoot my installation. And, to their credit, when I have raised problems with them, they have eventually come back to me and, so far, have more or less addressed them.

So I wouldn’t characterise my experience as being unhappy with UC’s support. It is slow, sometimes painfully slow, but that is rather different from paying for a premium support service and then not receiving it.

Ultimately, you get what you pay for — and I think UC’s Kickstarter pricing was very attractive precisely because it didn’t include the cost of a conventional commercial support infrastructure.

I think your points were spot on, and I completely agree with your perspective.

I know the team is doing their absolute best, and there is so much happening behind the scenes that people don’t see. It often comes down to human nature and consumer psychology, people will happily spend $15 a day on coffee, yet hesitate to pay for a mobile app that took months to develop, or expect 24/7 support when they do.

To me, this comes down to two main points:

  1. The Team’s Reality: I fully agree with you. This is a Kickstarter project run by a very small team with big dreams, families, and personal commitments, managing a lot of background work that users never witness.
  2. The User Perspective: I also agree that waiting three months for a fix or resolution is excessive.

For context, I use my UC3 as the primary remote in my theater room. If it were to stop working through no fault of my own and I didn’t receive a replacement, fix, or update within two to three weeks, I would have to put it away and buy a different remote.

That wouldn’t be out of anger or frustration, but simply out of necessity. I rely heavily on the device, especially since my AV gear is in a dedicated room outside my media setup and depends entirely on IP control (which has driven all my development efforts). I simply can’t go three to six months without a working remote, otherwise, my wife might list me on Facebook Marketplace!

Bottom line:

  • I agree with everything you said.
  • I also understand why a 3 to 6-month wait time is unacceptable for many users.

Ultimately, I hope the team continues to grow. I’m enjoying the journey, building integrations, and connecting with the community, and I will definitely be buying the UC4 when it comes out.

2 Likes

As this is just a community forum only hosted by UC you won’t get official answers here in most cases.
On Discord members of the team clarified that the main support employee left the team. They just recently seem to have hire a new person and no one knows how long support cases haven’t been answered or needed to be redirected to other team members with other tasks.
But even when everything runs normal you most likely have to wait 2 to 3 weeks for an answer depending on how challenging your request is.