How do you install an integration on the R2?

I see on the Discord channel in community-projects, some very clever people are developing device integrations for the R2.

I am keen to try them, but I am at a loss as to how to install them.

Can someone please point me in the direction of a step by step guide?

Many thanks.

1 Like

Hi,
it is more or less always the same as explained in integration-androidtv/README.md at main · unfoldedcircle/integration-androidtv · GitHub. You need some kind of computer running 24/7. In my case I use my NAS with debian mini installed in a virtual machine. To keep the integration running even if I close the ssh client I use screen to let it run in background. Currently I have 6 external integration running.

Ralf

Currently, integrations that do not originate from UC cannot yet be uploaded to the R2. Therefore, custom (“external”) integrations must run on an external device, as the upload option has not yet been implemented. The possibility to upload custom integrations directly to the R2 is on the planned Q1 Raodmap: (Upload custom integrations to the remote - Issue #79 - unfoldedcircle/feature-and-bug-tracker - GitHub).

1 Like

Thanks for the replies.

I’m disappointed with the answers though.

The idea of using a 24/7 computer to run the integrations is a non-starter for me. Besides the hassle of setting it up and maintaining it, it adds a level of clunkiness and probable delay to the remote and introduces another point of failure.

Whilst I applaud the people who are developing the integrations, the fact that they can’t yet be easily installed on the R2 itself is a major bottleneck to its adoption as my household’s everyday remote.

Perhaps the developers can integrate these device drivers into the firmware of the R2 now so all users can benefit?

As noted by Sturgis there will be an upload function to run the integration on the remote itself. This is the better solution than including community integrations into the firmware as there would be no way to update these integration besides an official update from UC.

1 Like