Cant connect to Home Assistant

Hi @Paco , also having issues connecting
remote and also using duckdns. What was the duckdns issue in your settings? Tx

The connection between the Remote and Home Assistant is LOCAL. This means that both are in the same network. No DNS service provider or any external accessibility of the Home Assistant is required!

1 Like

Same issue here. I installed MQTT and Mosquitto, created a long-lived access token, but get that same error, no matter what entries I use - ws, http, 192.168ā€¦ - and so on. I do believe my router has issues with mDNS/Bonjour, so I gave the remote, dock and HA a static IP which is how I was finally able to get this far to even configue the remote. Still no bueno on HomeAssistant. Any help appreciated.

Do we need to enable ā€˜END0ā€™ in our settings panel? Mine is disabledā€¦

Firefox_Screenshot_2023-12-23T15-28-56.706Z

To be honest, i donā€˜t know where you took that screenshot. Is it from your Home Assisstant installation?

Yes. Iā€™m running the generic Lovelace interface, go to settings>network, itā€™s he 2nd panel down - ā€˜configure network interfacesā€™.

Did I make a mistake by installing mosquitto and MQTT? If theyā€™re required, I think thatā€™s what might be the broken link. Not sure if I configured them correctly.

My other guess for config was this:
Firefox_Screenshot_2023-12-24T14-25-06.983Z

MQTT isnā€™t required for any connection from the remote to HA. That screen you are showing is to have access to HA from outside your network (i.e. when you are not home). It also has nothing to do with the remote.

Is your HA instance even running? You seem to be all over the map on installing and changing configurations, and at this point Iā€™m not even sure what youā€™re trying to do or what works and what doesnā€™t.

Sorry, I donā€™t recall seeing any of your replies to my posts, so I had no idea you were following my efforts.

Update, I have access to the remote, my dock is connected and I have integrations for my Marantz AVR, Nvidia Shield and ROON. If I can expose HomeAssistant, Iā€™ll be good to go for the time being, other than trying to figure out how to assign functions (like volume) to the hard buttons.

Yes, my instance of HA is running, thatā€™s how I got the screen shots. For now, Iā€™m having some issues connecting. Should I uninstall MQTT and Mosquitto?

MQTT = Mosquitto. But i think it isnā€˜t related to that.
Webservices should be enabled by default. You just need to connect to the correct local ip with the correct access token. If you use the local Ip also mDNS isnā€˜t used

So, hereā€™s whatā€™s really strange.

After hours of trying to figure this out, just this morning I logged into the web configurator and there was HA and the various ā€˜scenesā€™ I created. Same thing happened with my ROON integrationā€¦ I scoured the forums looking for why the ā€˜extensionā€™ button was missing, only to find the R2 listed the next day. Go figure!

Given the chronic problems that seem to be related to mDNS, I think the next step might be to buy a new router. Is there a router that is known to be reliable?

just got my remote and i cannot get ha integration upā€¦
i tried ws://myip:8123/api/socket error is interal server error please try again
not sure what els to do. can anyone assist

I was struggling with this for quite some time as well. Iā€™m running HA Core with Caddy 2 reverse proxy and some other not-so-common network configs. I first thought it was something network / Caddy related. I then installed a Firefox websocket client to confirm HA websocket could be reached. In the end it turned out the first long-lived token I had generated in HA did not work. I generated a new one and the FF websocket client connected fine. My remote HA integration also connected this time. Maybe this helpsā€¦

Iā€™m using: ws://homeassistant.local:8123/api/websocket

Avoid the hostnames as it may occur connection errors or delays : replace homeassistant.local with its IP address and set it as fixed IP from your router

TOTAL NEWBIE to HOME ASSISTANT - need help!

Hi ALL,

I have the R2 running about 80% of where I want and am using it as my default remote. I have just a few simple LUTRON Caseta dimmers I want it to control so I just got the HA Green, set it up and it can now control the dimmers within HA.

So I use the HA integration in R2 with the long-lived token and the Select Entities screen says there are 13 and to search for them. I type in a search word and the number of entities seems to match those beginning with that word. If nothing in the search it says there are 13. I say next and then go to screen that says ā€œYouā€™re all set.ā€ Then the next screen shows nothing in ā€œAvailable entitiesā€ and the left panel says State: Active but right below it says ā€œDisconnectedā€ with a button to the right of it which I try to turn ā€œonā€ hoping to connect but nothing happens. I have tried this several times but it always shows ā€œDisconnectedā€ and with no Available entities.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I had this same problem. I resolved it by restarting the remote after adding the integration.

kmcclive:

Iā€™m not sure if I tried that or not but I was advised by others here that there was a procedure I had to do in HA to install Home Assistant Community Store (HACS) and then to pull in a ā€œrepositoryā€ for Unfolded Circle and after several not-so-simple steps I was able to pull in all the controls in HA to R2. Iā€™m not sure I really had to do that extra procedure but it worked and I now have R2 doing just about everything I wanted it to do!

Thanks for the suggestion.

Which repository then?

z-master:

After you install HACS into HA you have to search for the ā€œUnfolded Circleā€ repository. Unfortunately sometimes the search does not find it and then you have to search for a ā€œcustomā€ repository (not sure of the wording) and then manually type in what is shown in the attached image leaving out the commas and quotes.

There is another thread here which has all the info to get R2 to talk to HA and it was the only reason I was able to successfully get it all to work after several days of frustration. The thread is: Newbie HA Question.

Good luck!
tmp

Glad it worked, but you definitely donā€™t need that third party Unfolded Circle integration installed to get the remote working with HA. That integration just lets you read certain data from the remote (battery level, active activity, firmware version, etc). Getting the remote connection to HA so you can control things is all done on the remote using the official remote based integration.

1 Like